Sunday, March 1, 2009

A little break

Of late, I've been putting in longer hours than usual, trying to get the dissertation written. It's still a work in progress; however, it is taking it's final shape. I've taken one day off since the beginning of Spring Semester, and if you are wondering, I was in my office yesterday (Saturday) from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, took in a screening of Slumdog Millionaire (a brilliant, gorgeous, thought-provoking film), was back in my office from 6:45 to 11:00 PM. It's now Sunday, and I let myself sleep in until 7:00 AM, instead of the usual 6:45; drug myself out, and have been here in my office for a couple of hours now. I need a break. Fortunately for me, the Seneca County Maple Festival is scheduled for next Sunday at Paul Snavely's Sugar Shack in Republic, Ohio, and I'm going.

Here's an image of the heated tents surrounding the sugaring operation during the 2007 festival. The billows of steam are from the evaporation of maple sap into maple syrup--the key ingredient of the festival. There is a modest admission fee to the festival; but, the fee includes hot cakes, sausage, hot beverage of your choice, a scoop of Toft's vanilla ice cream and all the fresh, pure maple syrup one cares to consume. Additionally, David and Ilene Fruth will be making maple popcorn, maple sugar, and maple candy--all for sale. I plan on bringing home a year-supply of maple syrup.

NC

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I think I love your festival going life. May I ask for it's hand in marriage?

Nathan Crook said...

I've been in my hidey hole far too long; I'm sooo looking forward to getting out of BG and doing some "research." The Seneca Co. Maple Fest is one of the festivals I am currently writing about and I'd really like to get some more info, interviews, and photos. Would you like me to send you some syrup?

NC