Friday, October 8, 2010

National Fluffernutter Day: A Personal Response

For those of you who follow my daily celebratory foods updates on Facebook, you may recall that today, 8 October, is dedicated to the sticky-sweet-salty Fluffernutter sandwich. What is a Fluffernutter, and how might one go about celebrating National Fluffernutter Day, you may ask?

While I am not much of a fan of the humble Fluffernutter, and I made this clear on my Fb post, I do give props to Ken Albala, Food Historian and author of several books including The Lost Art of Real Cooking: Rediscovering the Pleasures of Traditional Food One Recipe at a Time, for ramping up what might be considered an extremely simple recipe to create an extremely desirable new sandwich. As a response to my post, he rushed home and produced his own version of the time-worn original. Needless to say, I was impressed and sought to respond with my own culinary creation:

A tasty combination of toasted caramel and marshmallow with a light sprinkling of sea salt, garnished with a sliver of a premium German 85% Dark Chocolate, all on top of a Breton Mini.


NC

1 comment:

Ken Albala said...

Whoa! This rocks dude. I think I see the gauntlet thrown down! Before midnight, we might have to up the ante and try to outdo each other!

Has such a thing ever happened in blogtime?